Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Observations of Beethoven’s 9th

“Cognized” by Blake Overall



How ‘Bout That Beethoven!



There has never been any work of art in any medium close to this, before or since,

though of course there are a handful of perfect works of art extant in musical and other

mediums. After being totally absorbed in this work well over a thousand times, I have

concluded that it is indeed unfathomable. All I can do is try to understand why it is

unfathomable, and I think I finally understand at least that much. It is unfathomable

because in it, Beethoven has created a Living Being, a Creator God Itself, incessantly

probing and searching into Infinity, morphing endlessly into something else of equal

albeit different Grandeur, Divine Majesty and Power, morphing me with it. In this

untamable, tumultuous tornado of music swirl all the Devis and Devatas, all of the Divine

powers and forcers, everything—constantly bringing forth new beings and creations of

its own, the Causeless Cause. For starters, it’s all about the primordial powers and forces

that created the universes. I don’t find it very musical, really, more about infinite power

and infinite creative force. Never have I been able to completely penetrate this work-

-to get to the bottom of it. Now I finally know why this is impossible. And maybe I

have a clue as to the cosmic purpose of Beethoven’s deafness. Had he not been deaf, he

would not have been able to access and extract from the Unconscious, from the Infinite

Depths, this last and greatest of all symphonies, and the Late Quartets, the Holy Ground

of music. Bach and Mozart approached the Throne of God. Beethoven went up and sat

down on it, claiming the Christhood of music. With every listening we hear Beethoven’s

continuously repeated theme and variations of “I AM”. For these reasons, in my humble

estimation, in Beethoven we have the consummate artist of all time. If you or anyone

you know has any observations about any of this, I’d love to hear about it. WHEW! Just

3 more movements to go.

 “The music roars and storms all about me until I set it down in notes”-Beethoven

No comments:

Post a Comment